Name and location of repository
Level of description
Recipe collection publication "Fruits of our Labor"
- 2008 (Creation)
Name of creator
The Beth Israel Hospital was founded in New York City in 1889. Initially established to serve the Lower East Side's growing population of Eastern European Jewish immigrants, the Hospital grew into a major charitable hospital serving patients of all backgrounds. In the 1890s it was based out of existing structures on the Lower East Side, but in 1902 the Hospital moved to a purpose-built hospital building on Jefferson and Cherry Streets, and in 1929 it relocated to its present location on East 17th Street. In the ensuing years the Hospital affiliated with numerous other medical institutions and expanded its 17th Street campus through the construction of new buildings and the purchase of adjacent structures, including the neighboring Manhattan General Hospital. In 1965 the institution was renamed the Beth Israel Medical Center to reflect this growth. In 1997, Beth Israel joined several other New York City hospitals in the establishment of Continuum Health Partners, a multi-hospital system. Following the merger of Continuum Health Partners and The Mount Sinai Medical Center in 2013, Beth Israel became a part of the newly established Mount Sinai Health System. It was renamed Mount Sinai Beth Israel the following year.
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
Includes a map of the Beth Israel King's Highway Division campus.