Health Facilities

Taxonomy

Code

D006268

Scope note(s)

  • Institutions which provide medical or health-related services.

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Equivalent terms

Health Facilities

Associated terms

Health Facilities

105 Archival description results for Health Facilities

Arthur H. Aufses, Jr., MD papers

  • US AA058
  • Collection
  • 1951-2016

This collection has two series. The first series is composed of files that were created as part of the research process for the writing of two books about the history of Mount Sinai: This House of Noble Deeds: Mount Sinai Hospital, 1852-2002 (NYU Press, 2002) and Teaching Tomorrow's Medicine Today: the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1963-2003 (NYU Press, 2005), both co-authored with Barbara J. Niss. This series includes a small collection of files relating to the contracts with New York University Press and the publication of the books and the research files themselves. Material that had been obtained from the collections of The Mount Sinai Archives has been removed as it can be found in its original form in the Archives.

The second series consists of general files created or received by Dr. Aufses over his later career after he stepped down from the Chairmanship of the Department of Surgery. This includes some files from his service as the Acting Chairman of the Health Policy Department from December 1, 2007 through September 2008 after Mark Chasson, MD left Mount Sinai.

A large series of scrapbooks, certificates, and plaques was received in July 2015. The certificates were removed from their frames for better storage. These are found in Oversize Box 1. Some items were discarded.

Aufses, Arthur H., Jr. (Arthur Harold)

Board of Trustees minutes

This series includes bound and unbound minutes from the Board of Trustees of The Mount Sinai Hospital. There are also some Executive Committee minutes found here after the 1940s. This series includes the Board and Executive Committee only. The minutes of the full Board are complete from 1852. The Executive Committee minutes are included after the 1940s. During the period 1998-2001, minutes may also be found with the minutes of Mount Sinai New York University Health.

Board of Trustees, Office of the Treasurer (Schur)

These Treasurer's Office files contain records from the years 1948-1976. The bulk of this collection falls between 1960-1974, when Ira A. Schur was Treasurer.
The types of records in this collection are varied and numerous and they reveal the activities and priorities of the Treasurer's Office over this time. They include: minutes of Board of Trustee meetings and of various committees; correspondence with administration, faculty, other institutions, businesses, governmental agencies, lawyers, and many others; printed reports concerning various aspects of the Hospital; loan requests; employee agreements; and various budgetary reports.
The documentation reveals a few recurring themes. A large percentage of the records concern personnel management. Among the employee related material are: employee agreements and contracts; retirement agreements; data on retirement funds; tax annuity reports; private practice agreements; and comparative studies of executive benefits, perquisites, and salaries. Two sets of folders in the collection relate directly to employee benefit issues. The first contains the files of the Ad Hoc Committee for Executive Benefits, which existed from 1962-1970 to determine appropriate benefits for executive level personnel. They are found in folders labeled "Executive Insurance and Benefits." The second folder group contains the records of the Compensation Committee, which was formed in 1972 (the records continue to 1973) and had similar objectives to that of the previously mentioned Ad Hoc Committee. This second series is found in folders labeled "Compensation Committee."
There are several other subjects that recur in these files. Many documents relate to funds and fundraising, including records concerning funds for the then new Annenberg Building and School of Medicine. There are many documents relating to the tax status of corporations, house staff, executives, and other employees. Also found here is correspondence regarding the incorporation of The Mount Sinai Medical Center and name changes for Mount Sinai School of Medicine. In addition, as might be expected, there are data on expenses and supply costs.
Throughout the collection is correspondence with many prominent Mount Sinai individuals including Gustave Levy, Chairman of the Boards of Trustees; Martin Steinberg, MD, Director of The Mount Sinai Hospital from 1948 to 1969; Hans Popper, MD, Ph.D., Chairman of the Department of Pathology and President/Dean of Mount Sinai; Jack Herman, Director of Development; and S. David Pomrinse, MD, Director of The Mount Sinai Hospital from 1969 to 1977.
The Treasurer's Office hired outside consulting firms to perform many studies. Included in the collection are a compensation study completed by the Martin E. Segal Company (1973) and a Mount Sinai Medical Center report on tax shelter annuity programs conducted by S. B. Ackerman Associates (1973).
Ira A. Schur conducted the majority of his Treasurer's responsibilities from his office at S. D. Leidesdorf and Co. where he worked from 1916 until his retirement in 1969. However, there are many documents that reveal that he also conducted business at Mount Sinai and occasionally from his homes in Manhattan and Scarsdale, New York.
The files contained in this collection are of value for many reasons, one being the level of the office and its importance to the institution. Another aspect that brings value to these records is their relative completeness and comprehensiveness. An examination of these records provides an understanding of the evolution and workings of the Treasurer's Office.
It is difficult to say what gaps the collection may have since the records were not donated directly from the Treasurer's office and contain files only as recent as 1976. However, it is surprising that there is only minimal mention of issues regarding property and no information on banking or evidence of bank accounts and bill payments, which are all major responsibilities of the office. On the whole, the collection lacks budgetary data. Although it does contain some budgetary reports and financial statements, the majority of the collection is composed of day to day personnel and individually-focused issues.

Clinical Excellence Committee records

These files represent an almost complete official record of the Clinical Excellence Committee, the Task Forces, and their subcommittees. The minutes are complete, with only one exception. There are few interim reports or correspondence among the coordinators, the chairmen of the committees, and members. The final report is contained in Box 2, folder 1.

Some of the minutes have notes made by Dr. Thomas Chalmers, President and Dean of The Mount Sinai Medical Center and School of Medicine. The files probably came from that office, although, aside from these few notes, they are generic.

Mount Sinai Medical Center (New York, N.Y.). Clinical Excellence Committee

Col. Henry H. M. Lyle Collection of World War I Photographs and Documents

  • US AA014
  • Collection
  • 1916-1943

This collection consists of nearly 200 photographs of World War I soldiers, evacuation hospitals, field hospitals and areas of France taken by the U.S. Signal Corps., and maps and documents used by Col. Lyle in the course of his command. (The photographs have been integrated into the Mount Sinai Photograph Collection.)

Lyle, Henry H. M.

Department of Public Relations records

This series includes the records of the Office of Public Relations up to 1966 when Beryl Reubens was hired. There are records from when the following people were in charge of the function: Roman Slobodin (1942-44), Edith Behrens (1944), Leon Jacobson (19?-1962), Shel Sukoff (1962-?) and Jan Tyroler (1964-65).

There are many interesting aspects to this collection, including how it demonstrates the role of the Trustees in the life of the Hospital as well as how the functions of publicity and fund raising were handled. Initially combined, these two duties were separated in 1967 when the first full-time Director of Development was hired. Other strengths are the light the papers shed on the Hospital during World War II, and how the Hospital described itself through its publications and press activities. There are interesting glimpses of important Mount Sinai scientists as the Public Relations Office interviewed and researched them for their press efforts.

Mount Sinai Hospital (New York, N.Y.). Department of Public Relations

Doctors Hospital Board of Directors minutes and related records

This collection consists primarily of the minutes of the Doctors Hospital Board of Directors and its successor bodies from 1932 to 1994. The minutes of the year 1987, during which the hospital was acquired by the Beth Israel Medical Center, are missing.
The minutes document the administrative and financial operations of an affluent voluntary hospital. These include: the approval of budgets; the receipt of gifts and donations; the management of real estate belonging to the hospital corporation; the progress and outcome of suits against the hospital; the receipt of financial and committee reports; the recruitment, staffing and payment of nurses and residents; and the granting of staff privileges to doctors. Notably, during much of the hospital's lifespan, the last meeting of each year passed a motion approving the coming year's roster of physicians. This means that the minutes of a given year often include a complete roster of the following year's medical staff
The 1958 minutes include a pasted-in copy of the complete hospital by-laws, which are a useful starting point for understanding the administrative and medical organization of the hospital.

The collection includes a small assortment of minutes and legal records dated 1927-1932 that relate to the 87th Street and East End Avenue Corporation. This was an entity, legally distinct from Doctors Hospital, which managed the real estate aspects of the project during the initial establishment of the hospital. It was absorbed by the main Doctors Hospital corporation in 1932, likely as part of its' restructuring as a nonprofit voluntary hospital. The collection also includes a small assortment of legal records (1983-1989) and minutes (1987-1991) related to the Doctors Hospital Foundation, a legally distinct entity set up during the process of integrating Doctors Hospital with the Beth Israel Medical Center.
Finally, there is a small folder of historical notes, dated 1969, which were found tipped into the first volume of minutes. These notes include biographical details on some of the founders of the hospital.

Doctors Hospital (New York, N.Y.). Board of Directors

Results 1 to 20 of 105