Name and location of repository
Level of description
Mount Sinai Medical Center records
- 1872 - 2019 (Creation)
Name of creator
In 1963 The Mount Sinai Hospital received a charter from New York State for The Mount Sinai Hospital School of Medicine. This later became the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. The School opened to students in 1968. In 2013 the name of the School was changed to the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. Initially the Dean of the School of Medicine also served as the President of the newly formed Mount Sinai Medical Center. The first Dean was George James, MD, appointed in 1965. He died suddenly in 1972 and Hans Popper, MD, PhD served for one year until a new permanent President and Dean was found. This was Thomas C. Chalmers, MD.