Elementos de identidade
Código de referência
Nome e localização da entidade custodiadora
Nível de descrição
Mount Sinai Beth Israel records
- 1889 - 2018 (Produção)
Nome do produtor
The Beth Israel Hospital was founded in New York City in 1889 and opened its first inpatient location in 1891. Initially established to serve the Lower East Side's growing population of Eastern European Jewish immigrants, the Hospital grew into a major charitable hospital serving patients of all backgrounds. In the 1890s it was based out of existing structures on the Lower East Side, but in 1902 the Hospital moved to a purpose-built hospital building on Jefferson and Cherry Streets. Construction on the Dazian Pavilion, the first building of Beth Israel's main campus on 17th Street on Stuyvesant Square, began in 1922. The building was completed in 1929. In the early 1930s Beth Israel affiliated with the Jewish Maternity Hospital, and in 1946, following the gradual absorption of the Maternity Hospital by the obstetrics department of Beth Israel, the two institutions were legally consolidated into a single entity under the Beth Israel Hospital Association name. In the ensuing years the Hospital affiliated with numerous other medical institutions and expanded its 17th Street campus through the construction of new buildings and the purchase of adjacent structures. In 1965, following Beth Israel's acquisition of the neighboring Manhattan General Hospital, the institution became known as the Beth Israel Medical Center. In 1997, Beth Israel merged with St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center and the Long Island College Hospital to form the Greater Metropolitan Health System, whose name was changed to Continuum Health Partners in 1998. Following the merger of Continuum Health Partners and The Mount Sinai Medical Center in 2013, Beth Israel became a part of the newly established Mount Sinai Health System. It was renamed Mount Sinai Beth Israel the following year.