Name and location of repository
Level of description
Beth Israel Medical Center Kings Highway Division records
- 1992-2002, 2008 (Creation)
2 boxes (9 inches)
Name of creator
The Beth Israel Hospital was founded in New York City in 1889. Initially established to serve the Lower East Side's growing population of Eastern European Jewish immigrants, the Hospital grew into a major charitable hospital serving patients of all backgrounds. In the 1890s it was based out of existing structures on the Lower East Side, but in 1902 the Hospital moved to a purpose-built hospital building on Jefferson and Cherry Streets, and in 1929 it relocated to its present location on East 17th Street. In the ensuing years the Hospital affiliated with numerous other medical institutions and expanded its 17th Street campus through the construction of new buildings and the purchase of adjacent structures, including the neighboring Manhattan General Hospital. In 1965 the institution was renamed the Beth Israel Medical Center to reflect this growth. In 1997, Beth Israel joined several other New York City hospitals in the establishment of Continuum Health Partners, a multi-hospital system. Following the merger of Continuum Health Partners and The Mount Sinai Medical Center in 2013, Beth Israel became a part of the newly established Mount Sinai Health System. It was renamed Mount Sinai Beth Israel the following year.
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
This collection contains material related to the Beth Israel Medical Center Kings Highway Division, the former Kings Highway Hospital which was purchased by Beth Israel in 1995. (It was renamed Beth Israel Brooklyn in 2012.) The contents of this collection originate with the BIMC Development Department and Public Affairs and Marketing Department and were retrieved from offsite storage. It consists primarily of general Kings Highway Division material including: an extensive file of press releases and clippings, 1995-2000; a newsletter, "Kings Highway Division News"; the minutes of the Medical Executive Committee, 1998-2001; departmental meeting minutes, 1998-2001; brochures and flyers; patient handbooks. The collection also includes material directly related to development activities at Kings Highway, covering the transition period from a proprietary local hospital to a voluntary teaching hospital. Notably, it includes several studies of the hospital and its neighborhood around the time of the acquisition of the hospital in 1995, including a Gallup survey regarding public perception of the hospital.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
These records may be closed for a minimum of 25 years from creation, depending on their content. Please contact the Archives (MSArchives@mssm.edu) for additional information. One folder is maintained for historical value but closed permanently under HIPAA.
Conditions governing reproduction
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Acquisition and appraisal elements
This collection originates with boxes marked Kings Highway Division which had been kept in offsite storage by the BIMC Development Department. They were retrieved from storage by the Aufses Archives in the summer of 2018. The boxes consisted primarily of routine Development work product and were extensively weeded during processing to produce the extant collection.
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
Legacy ID from CMS
Description control element
Rules or conventions
In 2018, a collection of boxes from the Development Department and the Marketing Department of Beth Israel Medical Center/Continuum Health Partners was retrieved from offsite storage by the Aufses Archives. Among these boxes were material related to Beth Israel Kings Highway Division, the former Kings Highway Hospital which was acquired by Beth Israel in 1995. (The hospital was renamed Beth Israel Brooklyn in 2012 and is now known as Mount Sinai Brooklyn.) The bulk of this material consisted of routine work product from the Development and Public Affairs Departments, but among the files were general records relating to the acquisition and transformation of Kings Highway Hospital. This material has been organized as the Beth Israel Kings Highway Division collection.